Do’s and Don’ts of Living Room Decor
Living room – the heart of the house is where we spend a large chunk of at-home time. Though there is no hard and fast rule about Living room designing and decoration, it is necessary to make it cozy, comfortable and in line with the inhabitants’ personality. However, at times, homeowners make fatal mistakes in designing and decorating the living room, especially while renovating and or diving into the world of DIY. So, we have gathered some helpful do’s and don’ts of living room decor, read on and try to implement them as needed.
So, what are the DON’TS of living room decor
Do not choose the paint color before finalizing the furniture, carpets, rugs, and other decor pieces that go into your living room decor. Its advisable to use similar hues and tones to retain the liveliness of the room. Adding personal touches and statement pieces is also recommended.
2. Do not make your living room sterile and overwhelmed with furnitures.
3. Do not use a small area rug while decorating the living room as the look of rug edges far from furniture will be a decor disaster, by all means.
4. Do not push the sofas and other furniture against the wall. Too much of empty space in the living room creates an awkward vibe.
5. Do not hang wall arts too high or too low. Hung them at eye level so guests can appreciate the fine pieces on the wall.
6. Do not overlook the importance of dimmer switches. Be it a pendant light or an incandescent bulb, every light in your living room should have a dimmer switch.
7. Throw pillows are ideal to accent the interior of the living room but don’t use too many of them on the couch or sofa. Limit the numbers so neither you nor the guests have to move them off.
8. Don’t hesitate to mix high items with the low ones. Embracing varying heights of furnitures and bookshelves creates an interesting and inviting ambiance.
9. Don’t allow unfilled corners to screw up the depth and dimension of your living room. A comfy chair or houseplant can rule out the blankness.
10. Don’t ignore architectural details and beauty the living room should carry. If you have plans to mix and match period furniture in a modern room, make sure lines and silhouettes are on the same page.
11. Don’t make your living room’s furniture decor too formulaic.
12. Don’t clump the collections you’ve gathered over the years into living room so you can avoid the claustrophobic feel.
Now, let’s get to the good bits – the Do’s in living room decor
Be it a furniture or statement centerpiece, do choose the most expensive or favorite one and decorate around it.
2. Have the dimmer switches, task lighting, mood lighting and the appropriate light bulbs in place.
3. Create conversation areas by choosing a floating furniture arrangement in the living room.
4. Do have the rug and carpet dimensions to fit the room and furnitures so you can get rid of the island-furniture feeling.
5. Do create a focal point either using the television or fireplace. Arranging the living room around the dining table or perhaps around an empty space will also make a difference.
6. Do stick with a theme that unifies the wall, paint, and furnitures in the living room. Hues of the same color is an emerging trend seen in Living room decor.
7. Do hang the window treatments or curtains high to give the illusion of bigger windows.
8. Take an effort to declutter for living room with breathing space is more inviting than the one stuffed with things.
9. Add Texture adds dimension and interest to a room. It appeals to our visual and tactile senses when we perceive a space that makes use of smooths, roughs, shines, and dulls – just not in an overkill fashion.
10. Add different textures by choosing a patterned rug, a mural wall art, colorful cushions on the couch, or a rustic coffee table.
11. Incorporate few accent items like seashell bowls, or a rustic DIY piece on the side table or on your bookshelf.
12. Do include built-ins that can be used as double-duties.
If you keep these Do’s and Don’ts of Living Room Decor in mind when revamping or designing living room in your new home, you will avoid some of the most common and dreadful decorating mistakes!
As always cast your vote by clicking on the black button below. And, by the way, which tips might you try out in your living room?
Browse the gallery below for some beautifully decorated living room ideas!